Make Exercise A Habit: Try The 15-Minute Boot Camp Workout
What is a boot camp workout?
The focus of the “boot camp” workouts is to perform a fitness routine that benefits the entire body—both heart and muscles—by sequentially practicing one exercise after the other without resting in-between. These workouts are incredibly effective because they work many muscles groups simultaneously, which in turn elevates the heart rate and burns more calories and fat.
Because boot camp workouts are all the rage right now, I’ve created a “Super Body Boot Camp” that is a fun circuit-type exercise routine. It’s perfect for the busy professional or mom who finds it challenging to incorporate cardio and strength training into her schedule.
This boot camp workout consists of one mini-circuit that targets the entire body:
- Repeat the following four exercises in a continuous circuit.
- Perform the circuit three times.
- The entire workout takes approximately 15 minutes from start to finish.
Remember: Consistency is the key to a tighter, toned body!
Exercise #1: Flamingo with shoulder raise
- Stand on your left leg which is slightly bent, arms are by the side of body and right leg is bent in front of body.
- Exhale reaching the right leg behind you to hip height, at the same time arms extended forward to shoulder height. Inhale, bring right leg back to start position with the arms at the same time.
Reps: 10-15 on each leg
Weights: 3-5 pounds
Muscle Focus: Arms, shoulders, quads, hamstrings, glutes and abs for stabilization
Exercise #2: Plank to side plank star
- Hands are directly underneath shoulders, legs extended out in to plank position with right leg slightly lifted and abs are contracted.
- Turn to right side balancing on left arm with right arm extended over head and left lifted hips, knee and toes facing forward.
Reps: 8-10 on each side
Muscle Focus: Shoulders, upper back, abs, legs and glutes
Exercise #3: Plank to side lift with fly's
- Start with legs turned out at hips shoulder width apart and right heel off the floor, arms are at shoulder height slightly bent palms facing inwards in front of body.
- Squat in to a plies with knees over toes, extend knees and lift the right leg directly out to the side of body to hip height. Simultaneously arms go directly out to side of body.
Reps: 10-15 on each leg
Weights: 5-8 pounds
Muscle Focus: Quads, hamstrings, chest and shoulders
Perform as many repetitions as possible for one minute, while maintaining the proper form.
Exercise #4: Shoot the hoop
- Stand tall knees slightly bent arms by side of body.
- Jump up reaching arms over head as if you were shooting a basket, lower and bend knees to touch the floor.
Muscle Focus: Quads, hamstrings, calves and abs
Modification: If you have bad knees or lower back, then just reach for the sky without leaving the floor.